Friday, April 23, 2010

EARTH DAY ENTRIES PART 1: WHY I THINK THAT YOU DON'T MEAN WHAT YOU SAY WHEN YOU SAY "I LOVE THE BEACH"

"The Drowning in Batangas" photo credits from yoshke.com


I was enjoying my time in the beach. Basking on the shore, strolling along the beach, and soaking in the grandiose and clear blue waters of Laiya.


Then every time I would turn, I would always see trash. From cups to food wrappers. All floating in the sea, slowly accumulating, and will wreck havoc in time on the sea and it's marine life.


It wasn't that disturbing though. I didn't let it ruin my vacation. But after the getaway, the images of the dead fishes and trash kept on recurring in my head.


We keep on saying that we love the beach. But what kind of "LOVE" are we exactly talking about?


We love the beach? I think that the context of this oh-so-famous summer line, as famous as the word "Amen" is all about the superficial kind of love. In fact, it is a selfish love. We love the beach and all its glory because we only love ourselves.


And if a beach becomes wasted and ends up not like how it was before, we abandon it. Much worse, we leave along all our wastes that resulted to its defacement.


Then we embark on a search for a new destination. For us to enjoy, and to deface.


Who's to blame? Of course, we turn our heads and point our fingers to those who did it. But have you ever asked yourself, 


HAVE I DID SOMETHING BENEVOLENT TO MOTHER NATURE LATELY?


The offenders of the environment are the ones to blame.


And those who are mum and are indifferent about it are to blame either.


WE ARE TO BLAME FOR THE DETERIORATION OF OUR PLANET.


 I'd like to believe that we are indeed the worst kind of species.


We kill our animals for materialism and greed.


We spoil our waters and we continuously abuse our marine life.


We destroy our forests for personal profit and gain.


AND WE EVEN KILL OUR OWN KIND!


Isn't that worth saying that we are, without a doubt, THE WORST INHABITANTS OF THIS PLANET?


It's Earth Day. It's time that we make a change. And it's time for a change.


Think about it. Before it's too too late.

0 comments:

Post a Comment