Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A VISIT TO THE NEWEST SHOPPING STORE SENSATION: MUJI

Muji had two openings: Unofficial and official. The 15th of Oct. marked its unofficial opening. It's a day for invited guests, friends, and press releasing. And Oct. 16 is the official opening of the store to the public.

As usual, celebrities and common people crowded to the Japanese sensation store. I went there at around 8pm, hoping not to catch a mob of people shopping. When I got there, there were also a hundred others who were thinking of the same thing. In short, there were still a lot of people.

And the line is horrendous. It was long, and the cashier people are like freaking out because they didn't expect the overwhelming welcome of the Filipinos for Muji. Good thing I was in dire need of a toner. If not, I will not waste my time falling in line.

Below are some of the best shots that I can get. It felt like I was in a Sardines can even if the place is kinda' big. Yep, that's how Filipinos respond to fads.

The make- up (yes, you read it right. Muji has make- up!), skin, and body care section

The entry level skin and body care products

The more expensive skin and body care stuff

The personal care for travel section

The pens and notebooks section

The Clothes and Accessories section

The Bed and Bath section

Now I'm just being opinionated. Honestly, I don't understand why Muji was being hyped even before it opened here in the Philippines. What happens to hyped up stuff is, you end up being disappointed in the end because your expectations skyrocket to unimaginable heights. If I just see this store one day if Im strolling in TFHS, and didn't even have a clue what Muji is all about, I would probably be amused.

Honestly, it's all department store stuff at The Fort High Street prices. Forgive me for raining on any parade, but, I really think that Muji's stuff are way overpriced! It's like this: an upscale Daiso/Saizen store. The only difference is, they have home stuff. And regarding the acrylic drawers, I find them pretty expensive, though I admit that they would really look good on my dresser and study table.

I can't bring myself to understanding as to why the pens are overtly expensive. I mean, c'mon! What makes them different from the pens you find in National Bookstore?! I was about to pay for a pink and purple gel pen and found out that they cost at around 80php+ each. Before the SA printed the receipt, I told the SA to void the pens from it.

And the clothes. Oh the clothes. They're horrible. Why? Because they're expensive, yet tasteless! I do understand that they aim understated, streamlined, simple, and down-to-earth styles, but I can get the same stuff from Giordano at a tad cheaper price! The shirts are too simple for 900php or 1k, the cardigans are too sheer to protect you from the cold, and the sizes are big--or too loose. Their clothing section is like meant for people who like wearing baggy clothes.

Just like how money experts would tell you to steer clear of fixed price stores, I would say that the same goes to Muji. They have a lot of interesting stuff, but only to the point that they're only interesting, but in reality, you can do without them. If you're into cheap skin care, then I can recommend that you Muji a visit. But if you're the type who is always at the brink of maxing out their credit card, do yourself and your wallet a favor. Practice responsible shopping first, then pay Muji a visit.

**Muji at The Fort High Street is located at the second level of the building where Gap is located .

DID YOU GUYS VISIT MUJI? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT? I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment